In the may 12th edition of Wired our Managing Partner wrote 7 pointers on how to hire great talent.
1. Exploit your network for potential employees or referrals before considering using a recruiter. Great businesses are built on great referrals.
2. Think about and create an attractive company culture. Understanding and building a robust cultural DNA for your start-up will help you hire and retain the best candidates.
3. When making a hire ask yourself: “Would I enjoy spending 8 hours next to him/her on a long-haul flight?”
4. Try to hire executives with past start-up success. They will understand the requirements of a rapidly growing company. They also will help you avoid the mistakes they made or experienced.
5. Do not hire executives who don’t fully understand the demands of a start-up company.
6. Locate your business as close to the talent pool as possible. If this is not possible, be prepared to entice the right candidates to your location, or relocate.
7. Hire slow, fire fast. The right employee can help you grow rapidly, even exponentially, but the wrong candidate can set your company back twelve months. Work out why they weren’t suitable before you make your next hire.